Monday, June 19, 2006

Latest Update...

It’s been awhile since I updated. I am doing well. My last chemo was May 8th and I got through it with no mishaps. Mike accompanied me to the last day. They had removed my port during the hospital stay and the chemo was given intravenously through my arm. In case any problems resulted, I wanted my personal physician with me.

Two days later I was privileged to attend poetry readings at the Paramount by Maya Angelou. My good friend, Judy, invited me and took two of my friends also. It was a great evening. The audience was packed and Maya was inspirational. She talked about friends being rainbows in the clouds of life. I know that is how I feel when you, all, stepped forward after I was given my diagnosis.

Radiation began June 5th. I am now through 10 treatments with 20 left to go. One third is done! The radiation is done in 3 parts. The first takes about 10 seconds and the others about 35 seconds. The set up takes the longest but I’m usually in and out in a half hour. So far side effects are minimal but I understand that the last few weeks mayl be painful.

When I finished chemo, my energy level was low and I was tired. I’m working to regain my strength. Radiation also drains me and gives me fatigue. However my faithful friend, Carolyne and husband, Mike make sure I get my 2 mile walk in daily and take turns accompanying me.

My friend, Sandy, came over a few months ago to teach me how to play a card game, Phase 10. Well that game day grew and we asked a few others to join us and last Thursday we had 7 players and two , who didn’t make it. So now I have a card group and play Phase 10, Dominoes and several other games. It does keep my mind functioning and we enjoy the company and challenges. Years ago, I tried Bridge and failed miserably. I’ve also been asked to join a Book Club so that will be fun.

I am getting braver about just wearing a baseball cap in public and forgetting the wig. Now that it is summer, my wigs and scarves are hot and my head sweats. It’s much cooler to go without anything on my head. However, the sad looks I get are unnerving . The stories of everyone’s wife , mother or friend going through chemo are also depressing. It is sort of like taking the twins to the mall in a stroller. Back then (23 years ago) , I was stopped by everyone with a twin story. Katryn refused to go as some assumed she was the mother and I was the Grandmother. I was 38 and Katryn was a very mature looking 14.When I was away last weekend in San Diego, I experimented going bald as I didn’t know anyone but family that were there. Mike rented a convertible and I tried to get my head tanned as it’s ghostly white compared to the rest of me. I didn’t let my grand kids see me bald even though my daughter-in-law, Barbara assured me that they would think it was cool.

Eyebrows are now about 1/2 inch and lashes, though sparse are still there! Yeah! Best part is that I don’t have to shave legs or worry about a mustache.

Spoke too soon! This AM( 6/17), I awoke to 1/4” of eyebrows and eyelashes with large empty spots in them. I was excited that chemo hadn’t touched them but Radiation seems to obliterate them. I know that they will grow back but it was neat to think they had survived because of my tender care. ( I put conditioner on them daily!)

Boobs or the lack of them are a different story. I now have several different sizes so I can decide with each outfit if I want to be a C cup or D cup or AAA-.. There are the waterproof bathing suit ones, the expensive heavy ones and the lightweight comfortable ones. The problem with the latter is that they keep shifting during the day and end up around my neck or under my arms, an hour after I adjust them. The heavy ones keep drooping so I’ right back where I was before my breasts were removed. I do need to wear them as my belly is quite prominent either due to treatment, steroids or age. I need to balance the “Santa Claus” effect.

Last weekend, we flew To Southern California where our son, Josef married Jennifer Hernandez. It was a small quiet affair with her family and our boys in attendance. Barb, my daughter-in-law, arrived with a beautiful bouquet for the bride and corsages for the two moms. The bride was beautiful. The groom was handsome. More than a few eyes watered. Joe and Jenn had us back to their apartment for a barbecue following the ceremony. Jenn had just driven across country from her home in Virginia. before the ceremony. Joe had furnished the apartment and did a great job. They are steps away from pool where I’m sure they will spend many hours in the San Diego climate.

I was only gone for 3 days, 2 nights but it was fun to get away. On Sunday, we visited Barb, Erik and grandchildren at their new weekend get away. It’s a lovely condo on the water in Coronado and it’s beautiful, comfortable and fun. It was a fabulous day and we took their boat out and watched our sons water ski.

We decided with two sons in San Diego, we’d spend Thanksgiving there and Mike will take us all to Hotel Coronado for Thanksgiving Dinner. It beats “Over the river and thru the woods” for me. Barb and Erik have graciously offered the condo to us for the holiday.

This weekend, we will be in Spring Lake, for my brother Mike’s wedding . All my siblings will be there and my two daughters, Ingrid and Maiken are joining us Saturday for a visit. I have been given Friday off from radiation, so I’ll have a 3 day weekend. I am not looking forward to the plane ride but am delighted about seeing everybody.

2 comments:

Half-pint said...

Mrs. Wiese,

Again I have to tell you what an amazing role model you are for those going through the difficult trials of cancer. The battle and treatments are not easy and they easily take their toll on mind, body and spirit but your persistence and positive outlook are refreshing.

I was recently in NYC and was able to spend some time with your lovely daughter Maiken and the beauty and strength you have inspired in her are breathtaking. Thank you for sharing them, your wisdom, strength, and children, with this world.

Additionally, I am interviewing for jobs as a research coordinator at a Cancer Hospital in Boston in the hope that one day my children, or your children, or countless others will not have to subject themselves to such invasive treatments for cancer therapy. wish me luck as I undertake this new avenue in life.

Your bald head must be beautiful as you are so yourself. Bald is the new black!

always the best,

jess

Anonymous said...

as an 'internet acquaintance' of your other NYC daughter, 'Jane', I hope I'm not intruding to comment that your spirit IS inspirational.

As an architect designing a cancer treatment center in Vancouver, WA, back in 1999, I interviewed many of the staff for both the chemo and the radiation side of treatment, and their tales of seeing the bravery, perserverance and just admirable humanity in their patients really infused a personal responsibility in our team to create a space that would support the emotional side of such arduous treatment.

I wish you great peace along your path - as I see that strength is already in you.

sincerely,
tallglassofvino